Monday, December 21, 2009

The Quest for the Red Peacoat

Ever since seeing the movie Love Actually, I have been wanting someone to come to my door and surprise me with hand-written posters that end with "To me, you are perfect." Preferably Gerard Butler, Colin Firth, Hugh Grant...yes, I happen to like the accents as well. As much as I want, well, that, after seeing this gem of a film, I have become obsessed with Martine McCutcheon's (or rather, her character Natalie) red peacoat that she wears towards the end of the film. See for yourself:



In this shot, it may not be the best, but in the movie it grabbed my attention immediately. Complete with that cute sparkly cream-colored hat and we have a winner (as well as a star-struck, er, coat-struck viewer who will rewind the end scene with Martine jumping into Hugh Grant's arms about three times). I want a red peacoat. Badly. There is nothing wrong with my turquoise one aside from the fact that it is turquoise and a loose button. But I want a red one so I can feel like Natalie and imagine myself meeting Hugh Grant.

So I've been scouting for this wonderful find everywhere. A few days ago in New York and Company, I was so close to finding it. I was in the store with my friend Kellie and we saw a rack of peacoats. My eye was immediately drawn to a bright red one and for a moment my teeth almost fell out in excitement because this goal had only been set a few days before, so achieving it so quickly was thrilling. But alas, I decided to try the coat on and not just mindlessly buy it, and of course, I found like, fifty flaws. For one, it's not too long but not to short, so I resemble a stoat with legs that look shorter than they are. And it came with a belt which seemed to emphasize things that should not be emphasized. And it just didn't feel right. Like if I were to see Hugh Grant in the airport, I couldn't imagine jumping on him in that particular red peacoat. It was a total jip from the real thing. So I shall keep looking.

The quest continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment