Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tonight Spencer, Sabrina, and I saw the movie Precious. I had known that this movie would be one of those earth-shattering beautiful movies that made you laugh and cry, sometimes all at once. I had read the book Push (which is what the movie is based off of), but seeing it onscreen made it so much more real. Precious is about an illiterate sixteen-year-old girl who is pregnant with her second child-her father's child. It chronicles her life and her struggles with her incredibly abusive mother and how at times, it really seems like the dark hole she's in is never ending. I'm not going to give any more away, but I will say that the message of hope just had me in tears-that and the fact that Lenny Kravitz as a nurse is an image that Spencer and I will have forever tattooed in our minds-because it's so true.

I feel like I'm so, so lucky. I'm lucky to have such amazing friends who are always there, even when I'm not at my best. And then there's my family, who can be just as discombobulated as the next, but who remains my biggest fans. I'm so thankful for them and how we've made it through all those seemingly endless dark moments. We've been able to grow-and definitely have a million laughs-over every single one.
I was thinking about this movie while driving back home and how sometimes it seems like you'll never get out of the rut you're in; but the truth is, you will. You just have to keep pushing, just like Precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment