Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Off-to-on days

I started off my morning with a fall. It was fifty degrees and sunny so I thought I was safe wearing my Sperry shoes, but alas, I was so wrong. I went down my apartment steps, slid a little bit into the other set of stairs and it all went downhill from there (literally). I was a ping-pong ball and ricocheted off of an old tan colored van and landed on my back on a little still-icy hill. Um, ow. I lay on my back, my books splayed to the side, my backpack jabbing at my back, contemplating granny-crawling up the stairs and back into bed. I took it as a sign that this just was not the best day. But I didn't want to be absent from class this early in the game (I had to think about the days in the next couple months that I would need a true-blue mental health day), so I got up and hobbled to my car, still sliding, holding onto my books (and what was left of my dignity) for dear life.

You know the day where suddenly it seems like fifty million things are being thrown at you? That was today. A take-home exam, an exam on Monday, a couple papers, and an election candidate card? I thought I was going to pass out. However, I was saved by my lovely, lovely friends who have THE BEST senses of humor. In my math class, which I was slowly dying in, my professor announced that we had an exam. Sheryl (you should read about her below!) transferred to my class today and was sitting beside me (yaaaay). After prof announced that we would have a test (noooo), Sheryl scribbled in her notebook:

"Test on Monday-die before then."

I just about wet myself laughing, partly because it was very, very funny but also because in that moment I realized how lucky I was to have friends who, even when I may be having an off day, can never fail to make me laugh. So amidst seemingly-endless rehearsals, exams, and cups of coffee, I am starting to see that these "off" days can be righted and turned to an "on" day in a heartbeat.

1 comment:

  1. love the entry. :) beautifully written and so sweet and thoughtful too. :) good luck with everything coming up, boo!

    ReplyDelete